Sunday, May 6, 2012

Altered Jewelry Box - HDH131 Macabre Monday - CASE a Minion


So this week at Haunted Design House the challenge was to CASE a Minion.  Basically you are to create a dark, Gothic, or Halloween-based art piece that has been CASEd from one the Minion's DT offerings.  CASE = Copy And Steal Everything.  I chose to CASE Sultana of the Sinister Lynx aka Black Dragon, you can find her project that I CASEd HERE!!!  I fell in love with her jewelry box and I just knew I could at least attempt to create something similar.  Plus, this jewerly box will give my Halloween jewelry a new resting place until October every year from now on.



I already knew I had the cardstock I wanted to use.  The cardstock I used was in a Halloween pack from Recollections.  I picked up a very inexpensive wooden box from Michael's.  I painted the entire box with black craft paint.  Covered most of the box with the cardstock.  I sanded the edges down just a bit.  I applied a glossy Mod Podge over the entire surface of the box and let that dry overnight.  I then hot glued some really interesting black ribbon around the box.  I cut 16 little flowers out with my Cuttlebug.  I put 8 of those flowers together with a brad and began to shape the flower.  I created 2 flowers this way.  I also added a small black pompom to the center of the flower.  I then lightly brushed some silver glitter paint onto the edges.  I cut 3 leaves out with my Cuttlebug.  I added some Crackle Accents to the leaves but they didn't create the effect I wanted (I don't think the Crackle Accents liked the silver cardstock).  I cut out on my Cricut the scull from Happy Hauntings at 4 inches.  One was cut in the silver cardstock and the other in black, I hid the contours on that one to create a black out scull.  I attached the two together and then added Glossy Accents to give it some dimension.  Once I had all the pieces dry, I hot glued everything to the jewelry box along with some other embellishments...the spider was just something I had to add (maybe he'll keep some little hands out of my jewelry).





I am entering this Altered Jewelry Box in the following challenges:
Thank you so much for stopping by and checking out my Altered Jewelry Box!!!

18 comments:

  1. Carol this is lovely and I'm sure Lynx would be pleased to see someone's cased her box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Great job CASE-ing BD's jewellery box :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW - gorgeous job on this box. Thank you very much for joining us at Haunted Design House. :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You picked the hardest one to CASE and you ROCKED it! Fabulous recreation of Lynx's box in your own style! Thank you so much for joining us this week at HDH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool and I love all of the goodies inside.Thanks for playing along with macabre monday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much...I have had alot of the goodies for many many years!

      Delete
  6. Great CASE - I love the flowers and the feathers. I wouldn't have been able to resist adding the spider, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I originally had the spider of the inside but felt he looked more creepier on the outside!

      Delete
  7. Love your box thank you for sharing it with us at ForeverNight
    Luv Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! Sorry I was a little late in getting around, Carol. Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with the Minions at HDH. xxD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's totally ok...we all have lives outside of crafts and blogging. Thank you so much and it was my pleasure to create this jewerly box...I have plans to do more thanks to Black Dragon.

      Delete
  9. I am so sorry i was MIA... i am dead proud that my box inspired you to make one .... i love that you put your own spin on it.... thanks so much for casing my piece....i/we didnt think anyone would.
    You really did deserve to be made a gruesome for this!
    Gorgeous work!
    Love BD x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this fantastic compliment. Your piece was so beautiful so I just had to try and CASE it!

      Delete
    2. Wow, this is awesome! Love the skull!
      Thanks for joining us at Hooked On Craft Challenges.
      Hugs, Kelly xxx

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Please leave me a comment...I love and appreciate them all!