Sunday, June 9, 2013

Altered Composition - Hocus Pocus inspired - Spell Book with Hangman


I am super excited to bring to you today my Hocus Pocus inspired Spell Book with Hangman page saver. I've been wanting to create this for a very long time. I recently found an amazing designer,  Dave Lowe, and I have started following his blog. He creates so many different and interesting things, especially inexpensive things. I took his Old Creepy Books design and interpreted it to suit my Spell Book.


I covered the entire book with the watered down clear glue and crinkled paper towels all over it. Let it dry over night.



I painted the entire book with the blush craft paint and then brown craft paint.




I then marked the suede paper with red and brown sharpie markers, cut the suede paper, and then stitched the paper with the hemp cord. I glued the Styrofoam ball to the book. Covered the front of the book with watered down clear glue and began to lay the suede paper down. Let that dry. Then I applied some watered down brown and blush craft paint. I then attached the eye lash.


Finally I added my Hangman page saver. I did actually watch a YouTube video to create my noose around my hangman and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was...scary! I am so please with the way this project turned out and I hope you like it too!


This is what he looks like saving my page:



I will be using this "Spell Book" as a sketch book for future ideas.

I used these items to create my Spell Book:
  • Composition Book (unused from my daughter's last school year)
  • Paper towels
  • Clear glue (watered down)
  • Sponge brush
  • Suede looking pattern paper (to look like skin)
  • Brown and Blush craft paint (watered down)
  • Red and brown Sharpie markers (cut skin)
  • Hemp Cord (stitches)
  • Styrofoam ball (cut to create eye lid)
  • fake eye lash
  • Jute twine (hangman's noose)
  • Plastic skeleton (Halloween decoration)
I am entering my Hocus Pocus inspired Spell Book with Hangman page saver in the following challenge at Haunted Design House - HDH #168 - Hangman's Handiwork.

8 comments:

  1. Ack! This is beyond brilliant, Carol! The only thing missing is Bette, Kathy, and Jessica! It looks so authentic and professionally finished. You noosed skellie is great! Perfect for our theme. I have been following Dave for a while now. He is wonderfully talented. You should send him the link to this post so he can see your fabulous book! Thanks for playing with us at HDH this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulousy creepy! The stitched skin will be haunting my dreams for awhile and the hanging skellie page saver is brilliant! WOW, Chickie, you ROCK! Thanks for sharing with HDH. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God that eye isn't open. Plenty creepy as it is. Had to say I love this one more time! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! Love the skin effect and the hanging skeleton bookmark is FAB! Thanks for sharing with us at Haunted Design House :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant, love it. Thanks for sharing with us at Haunted Design House x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for writing in such an encouraging post. I had a glimpse of it and couldn’t stop reading till I finished. I have already bookmarked you
    Web development company

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice sharing. i like your blog. I am going to stumble it.Thanks.
    Find A Therapist

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Please leave me a comment...I love and appreciate them all!